The Excellent Care for All Act (ECFAA) requires all hospitals to have a publicly available patient declaration of values produced after consultation with the public. The patient declaration of values helps hospitals continue to put patients first and move toward patient-centered care by clarifying what Ontarians can expect from their health care organizations.
The Declaration of Values are intended as principles to help strengthen the health care sector’s organizational focus and accountability for delivering high quality patient care. They also support the main goal of the ECFAA legislation: to blend quality and value in such a way that Ontarians will be able to count on the health care system for generations to come.
The Listowel Wingham Hospitals Alliance would like to extend a sincere thank you to the patients who helped formulate the patient values statements and to all members of the public who provided us with their valuable feedback.
Providing safe and satisfying patient care is a priority at Listowel Wingham Hospitals Alliance (LWHA). We have asked patients what is important to them and four values emerged. Please review the Patient Values and Responsibilities outlined below. By participating in your plan of care, patients and families help LWHA staff to provide safe care and prevent adverse events.
We ask visitors to:
- Be polite and respect others
- Wash your hands before a visit
- Follow any isolation signs as posted on patient doors
- Keep noise to a minimum. Try not to disturb others
- Follow directions or requests from doctors or staff
- Respect the property of others
- Respect the privacy of others
- Your children should be with you at all times
The following are NOT acceptable:
- Rude or insulting comments
- Any threat of violence
- Smoking or vaping in the hospital or on the property
- Visiting while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Staff of the Listowel Wingham Hospitals Alliance reserve the right to take action if this policy is violated.
As a Patient, I value that...
- I am provided with high-quality, safe, person-centred care that focuses on my whole being –mind, body and spirit.
- I am an active participant in my health care and I am given information about my medical condition and the proposed plan of care to make an informed decision.
- My family and I are treated with respect, compassion, and dignity and that our privacy is maintained.
- I can express my appreciation or concerns about my healthcare experience knowing that my healthcare providers are actively listening.
As a patient, I am responsible for...
- Acting safely and responsibly to prevent falls or other patient-related incidents (e.g. review the Falls Prevention Program pamphlet and the LWHA Patient Safety Handout provided to you on admission).
- Being considerate of other patients and the healthcare providers so that all patients can receive person-centred care.
- Participating in my care and treatment goals.
- Providing medical information to the healthcare team (e.g. allergy information, history of falling, etc.).
- Cooperating with hospital practices and policies that help us to maintain your privacy (e.g. appointing a primary contact while I am in the hospital).
- Being open with my healthcare providers to ask questions or address concerns in a timely manner.
- Following up with discharge plans and recommendations after I leave the hospital so that I continue to care for myself.
If you have any questions or comments, please talk with your healthcare provider or contact our Quality and Patient Experience Coordinator at Listowel Wingham Hospitals Alliance at 519-357-3711 or 519-291-3215 Ext. 6206 or email Patient Experience.